DFL Civil War heats up, John Hoffman vs. Angie Craig edition

If there's anything that I love more than a ribeye from Thielen's in Little Falls made medium rare to medium, it's the sight of a full-fledged DFL Civil War. In most years, the DFL has polite fights before voting in lockstep. This feels different, with the DSA hoping to push establishment out of the picture. In this situation, State Sen. John Hoffman claimed that Congresswoman Angie Craig "sought his endorsement when he was still in the hospital recovering from a shooting."

This has the makings of the start of a bar-room brawl. According to the Alpha News article, "Last week, DFL state Sen. John Hoffman spoke at a rally in support of Flanagan’s campaign for U.S. Senate. At that rally, Hoffman claimed that Craig sought his endorsement when he was still in the hospital recovering from a shooting." That certainly wasn't going to go without response from Craig's campaign. Here's how Craig responded:

"Emphatically, what has been asserted is untrue." She also said Hoffman’s story "is questioning my personal integrity, and I simply would never do what has been assessed that I did."
That's just part of it. Here's more:
To her credit, Angie Craig sat down with Fox9 News for a previously planned interview even after this controversy erupted. This is that interview:

Naturally, Hoffman responded:
Hoffman responded to Craig in a statement reported by multiple media outlets. "The screenshots released by her campaign show direct text messages from Congresswoman Craig," Hoffman said. "They do not address the substance of what I said: that a dear and trusted friend approached us twice on her behalf regarding an endorsement, once while I was in the ICU and again while I was recovering at home." The senator’s statement went on to acknowledge that Craig expressed sympathy after the shooting occurred but said the endorsement requests came later.
I'll be voting in the GOP Primary so I don't have a dog in this fight. I'll just say that I'm enjoying this DFL Civil War.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kendall Quall's big mistake

Proof that Tim Walz doesn't care about fraud or other crime

Johnson family statement (unedited)