Speed Gibson: North by Northwest – Prolog

North by Northwest – Prolog

I, your obedient servant Speed Gibson traveled to Little Falls, Minnesota to attend its April 17th School Board meeting. I was curious how a parents’ rights issue was generating state-wide attention this far away from the Twin Cities. The issues in question I’ll leave to the players and pundits involved, as we’re not dealing with violence or physical abuse here. I am interested in the process, how the District is handling this challenge. As the saying goes, "it's not the crime, it’s the cover-up."

I’ll report my findings in multiple posts, but first some background information. Little Falls has been gaining population the past 30 years, with 9,140 in the 2020 Census. Driving around beforehand, I was very impressed with the well-kept homes I saw. The business climate would also appear to be healthier than most in Greater Minnesota. Even so, enrollment in the Little Falls Community Schools (ISD 482) is falling, down 162 students in recent years per tonight’s meeting.

So, what’s the problem you’ve been reading about here and elsewhere? People being people mostly, I think. Parents that want the best education for their children. Educators who believe that they’re doing a good job providing it. Administrators who are accustomed to minimal, pre-Internet scrutiny. And union leaders emboldened by the DFL’s near total control of State Government. We’re increasingly territorial: my children, my classroom, my district, my friends in St. Paul. We no longer need a collective effort to find common ground in the students’ best interests. We have experts now, who "follow the science."

That all said, to judge by tonight’s meeting, there is more to unpack here, how and why a "civil, courteous, thoughtful, respectful" District chose other methods to deal with a concerned parent.

Next: The Venue

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Joe Biden our Grifter-in-Chief?

Tim Walz's Confederate Flag Fiasco

Maria Bartiromo's interrogation of Gov. Ron DeSantis